Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) Benefits for Veterans

What is Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)?

Combat Special Compensation is the combat veterans’ benefits that provide tax-free payments to retired Veterans with combat-related disabilities. You must apply for CRSC through your uniformed service. it is monthly entitlement by which an eligible veterans can get some or all of their retired pay. if veterans are eligible they must have combat-related injury and can get CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation)

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) Benefits

What are the benefits of CRSC?

  • CRSC are the special compensation that allows eligible military retirees to recover some or all of their retired payment that was offset by their VA disability compensation allowance.
  • The best thing about this benefits is that it is tax-free payment. So Any money received from the VA is not taxable under section 104 of title 26, United States Code, except money reviewed from the DoD.
  • Combat veterans can get Health Benefits Under The “Combat Veteran” Authority i.e Cost-free care and medications related to combat service program.
  • Get Enrolled in Priority Group 6 unless eligible for enrollment in a higher priority group
  • Full access to VA’s Medical Benefits Package.

Download the PDF file Here

How do I get approved for CRSC? (CRSC eligibility)

In order to qualify for CRSC you must currently receive military retired pay and meet one criteria mention below:

  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10% disabled by the VA
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your branch of service

Combat-Related Special Compensation act

Combat Related Special Compensation was passed by Congress in December, 2002.

Where can I get additional information on CRSC?


Before you can demonstrate your status as a combat veteran, it’s essential to decide whether fit the bill for upgraded eligibility for benefits. According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, this is enhanced eligibility Public Law 110-181. This law is known as National Defense Authorization Act of 2008. that says “U.S. government extended enhanced eligibility to service members who served in active duty after November 11, 1998.”
There are multiple ways Combat Veterans can prove that they fall under this category like as under
  • Military service documentation that shows their service in a combat theater,
  • proof that they received a combat service medal or campaign medal,
  • proof of receipt of imminent danger pay or hostile fire pay.

Requirements For Combat Veteran Statements

After providing evidence that you are a veteran, there are further requirements about a combat veteran’s engagement in combat. After meeting those requirements, there is a strong chance of acceptance

Let’s look basic three requirements more closer:

  • statements provided by the veterans must be satisfactory, reasonable, or credible
  • Provided statements should be consistent with the conditions, circumstances, and hardships of service
  • A statement provided must contain such evidence that proves in-service disease, injury, or event did not occur during service.

How to Apply for CRSC Benefits

Combat-Related Special Compensation is not an automatic program therefore you must have to apply for payment in your respective branch. To apply, for CRSC there is form DD form 2860 which you need to fill out. furthermore you are also required documentation mentioned below:

Enlist down there are some contact info for submitting your CRSC claim:

Department of the Army
US Army Human Resources CMD
1600 Spearhead Division Ave
Dept 420
Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402
Phone: 1-866-281-3254
Fax: 1-502-613-9550


Air Force
CRSC Program Office
550 C Street West, Suite 6
Randolph AFB
TX 78150-4708
Phone: 1-800-525-0102


Coast Guard
Personnel Service Center
U.S. Coast Guard Stop 7200
4200 Wilson Blvd., Ste 1100
Arlington, VA 20598-7200
(703) 872-6626


Navy and Marine Corps
Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards
Attn: Combat-Related Special Compensation Branch
720 Kennon Street SE, Suite 309
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374
Fax: 202-685-6610

Is CRSC the same as CRDP?

The answer is No. because the term Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) are different in nature but do the same thing. CRSC benefits are for only combat injuries, while on other side CRDP is specif for retired veterans with a 50% or higher rating from the VA.

Do I have to apply for Combat Related Special Compensation?

Yes. This program is not like CRDP, here you have to apply for Combat-Related Special Compensation. To apply for CRSC submit DD Form 2860 along with documentation that fulfills all the requirements.

More Info About Combat Related Special Compensation

Here is some additional information about CRSC:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *