This article will help you to find the best list of Alaska Veteran’s Benefits including education, employment, healthcare, tax breaks/exemptions, recreation, and many more.
As per the VA Reports, there are around 69,000 veterans who are citizens of the state of Alaska. among them most of the veterans are facing difficulties in carrying their routine expenses and paying utility bills. in order to overcome such difficulties state of Alaska provides different grants as veterans benefits. such grant helps the veterans in their routine matters and expences. These grant are awarded by the federal government to help needy veterans to meet brought financial patches.
Alaska States provides multiple veteran benefits which describes below:
Alaska States Veterans Benefits
Alaska State Tax Benefits
Property Tax Exemptions:
There will be no tax on the property of the veterans who have VA or military disability of 50% or more. Such exemption from property tax is applied on the first $150,000 of the assessed value of their home. in case the military service member or veteran died and his spouse is 60 years of age than the exemption can be transferred to a spouse.
Alaska Veteran Employment Benefits
Military Service Credit for Alaska State Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS): Retired Military veterans are eligible to get up to five years of PERS credit for active military service to to maximize your state retirement benefit. Here is more details: Alaska Division of Retirement and Benefits, Military Service Credit Brochure
Who is eligible for Military Service Credit for Alaska State PERS?
- Honorably discharged Service members
- PERS retirees,
- deferred vested members,
- Surviving Spouses of PERS members
State Employment Hiring Preference for Veterans & National Guard Members
When a retired veterans or national guard service member going to apply for a government job, may be entitled to a 5% point preference if meet on criteria. in case of disabled veterans the percentage increase up to 10% point preference.
Priority services include the following:
- Job search workshops
- Priority job referral
- Special programs
- Career assessment and counseling
- Employment assessment and testing
- Resume assistance
- Education assessment and referral
- Labor market information
- Job development
Job Finding Assistance
Military Veterans and the eligible spouse of the veterans who want to get employment, Alaska Department of Labor always give preferences to get employment, apprenticeship opportunities, and on-the-job-training programs.
Alaska Veteran Education Benefits
Down there are Education Benefits for veterans and spouses:
Free Tuition for Surviving Spouse or Dependent
If the veteran’s spouse or dependent of the veteran are listed by the DOD as POW will be eligible to get free education at the university of Alaska.
Note: Applicant must be the resident of the Alaska
Alaska Veteran Housing Benefits
Alaska Veterans & Pioneers Home
In order to assist the older Alaskans veterans Alaska States provides the Alaska Veterans & Pioneers Home. In these homes services members can have highest quality of life by providing assisted living in a safe home setting which promotes independence, positive relationships, meaningful activities and physical, emotional and spiritual growth.
There are 75% of the beds among 79 are designated to veterans and the remaining are for non-veterans.
The Alaska Veterans & Pioneers Home may provide the following services, depending on health status and need:
- Private or semi-private rooms
- Opportunities for recreation
- Meals & housekeeping services
- Emergency assistance
- Physical activities
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Nursing assessment and intermittent health services depending upon level of care
- Payment assistance for those who qualify
- Pharmacy services
Veterans Housing and Residential Loans
Veterans who are the Resident of the Alaska states may be eligible to get Housing and Residential Loans at low-interest rates. Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) administers the Veterans Mortgage Program announce to finance qualified veterans. Such veterans on active duty may also qualify:
- Loans require little or no down payment
- lower interest rates interest
- veterans can receive a 1% interest rate reduction on the first $50,000 of the loan amount
Veterans Land Discount
Alaska states provides Veterans Land Sale Preference, before offering to the public by auction, veteran has the exclusive opportunity purchase the land at a restricted sale at fair appraised market value.
In order to be eligible for this benefit, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older at the sale date
- Resident of the State of Alaska for at least one year immediately preceding sale date
Related States Veterans Benefits:
- Colorado state veterans Benefits
- California State Veteran Benefits
- Massachusetts Commonwealth Veteran Benefits
- New Jersey state veteran Benefits
- New York Military Veteran Benefits
- Virginia Commonwealth Veteran Benefits
- Alabama States Military and Veterans Benefits